Favorite Charmer : Wynn
Badges :

Character sheet
Name: Wynn
HP:
280/280  (280/280)
MP:
170/170  (170/170)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:06 pm

Hippocampus wrote:
Had a funny dueling moment against my friend the other day (not the same friend as in the above post). I was playing Traptrix and he was playing Black Luster Soldiers. I went first and opened Atrax. Either he had no idea how many Trap Holes I had in my hand, or he just drew garbage, so he just played it safe and set a Evening Twilight Knight and a couple backrows. Next turn I summoned Myrmeleo, and added Acid Trap Hole to my hand, and I immediately played it because Atrax was on the field. Then I just attacked him directly and he was like, "that's so dumb!!!!!" rotfl

I ended up losing that game in the end, but that play alone was so hilarious I treat it as a win by itself.

Acid trap Hole... I'm not sure how many decks still play face down nowadays but... most of time I believe it'll hit the target since not many face down monsters that would be set from hand, has more than 2000 DEF. Unless you're using Battle Footballer. I won't say it's dumb, though. It could happen to any deck.

Kirikaze's Charmer Forum Journey : 2009 - 2016, 2016 - ?
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/gransveld
Hippocampus
Mod - Friendly Neighborhood Garbage Collector

Charmer Power : 582
Badges :

Character sheet
Name: Theodore Tsakiris
HP:
500/500  (500/500)
MP:
200/200  (200/200)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:37 pm

Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
Acid trap Hole... I'm not sure how many decks still play face down nowadays but... most of time I believe it'll hit the target since not many face down monsters that would be set from hand, has more than 2000 DEF. Unless you're using Battle Footballer. I won't say it's dumb, though. It could happen to any deck.
Just to clarify, he didn't use the word "dumb" as a synonym for unintelligent. It was more of the fact that he was dumbfounded that I actually pulled it off (and by the fact that Atrax allows you to break the rules of normal YGO haha).

But yeah the only problem with Acid Trap Hole is that it flips the monster before destroying, so stuff like Coinorma or Shaddolls' effects would still activate. It would be a much better card if not for that fact, as don't forget Quaking Mirror Force is a thing.

Have some King Crimson: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsONvdoSkak
I love this track so much^

[19:31:10 25/01/14] Corrupted Charmer, Y : We opened a new world
Quote :
[07:24:14] Runo : "The day when Hippocampus joined Charmers Community, he also lost his precious sleep time for sure."

Suspicious Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Hippocampus

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
500/500  (500/500)
MP:
200/200  (200/200)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:39 pm

Here's a random idea I've thought about during the past couple days: Would YGO be better if direct attacks weren't allowed?

Like, think Duelist Kingdom style. Both players had only 2000 Life Points each but couldn't attack Life Points directly, and thus the only battle damage would come from monsters attacking other monsters. If this were the case with the real game, would things be any more or less interesting, or would the game be equally degenerate?

Obviously if players started with only 2000 LP then many cards, specifically burn cards, would have to be either errata'd or banned, so let's even things out by saying they start with 4000. Would aggro decks be less viable under these circumstances? Would putting monsters in defense mode be unfair, or merely a "good tactic"? Would there be as many OTKs in the game? Would any past or present top tier decks be not considered top tier anymore, and would that affect what cards got banned? Would duels still be one-sided/won by the player who goes first?

I've been thinking about different kinds of game formats and this popped into my head. Any thoughts from people?

Quote :
[07:24:14] Runo : "The day when Hippocampus joined Charmers Community, he also lost his precious sleep time for sure."

Suspicious Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Kirikaze Fuuma
Mod - Kaze no Soldier

Charmer Power : 5697
Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
280/280  (280/280)
MP:
170/170  (170/170)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:46 am

Hippocampus wrote:
Here's a random idea I've thought about during the past couple days: Would YGO be better if direct attacks weren't allowed?

Like, think Duelist Kingdom style. Both players had only 2000 Life Points each but couldn't attack Life Points directly, and thus the only battle damage would come from monsters attacking other monsters. If this were the case with the real game, would things be any more or less interesting, or would the game be equally degenerate?

Obviously if players started with only 2000 LP then many cards, specifically burn cards, would have to be either errata'd or banned, so let's even things out by saying they start with 4000. Would aggro decks be less viable under these circumstances? Would putting monsters in defense mode be unfair, or merely a "good tactic"? Would there be as many OTKs in the game? Would any past or present top tier decks be not considered top tier anymore, and would that affect what cards got banned? Would duels still be one-sided/won by the player who goes first?

I've been thinking about different kinds of game formats and this popped into my head. Any thoughts from people?

IMO it could potentially makes the game end much longer. What would you do when your opponent doesn't even put a monster and do nothing? You'll be forced to get stalled. While you keep searching cards from deck, summoning monsters from deck again and again, he did nothing all the way until around 40 turn, and then you deck out. Give a rule about if opponent didn't put monster(s) for 3 turns, then he'll automatically lose.

Yeah, it's just my opinion for what I haven't think deeply about. For anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Back to top Go down
Hippocampus

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
500/500  (500/500)
MP:
200/200  (200/200)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:54 pm

Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
IMO it could potentially makes the game end much longer. What would you do when your opponent doesn't even put a monster and do nothing? You'll be forced to get stalled. While you keep searching cards from deck, summoning monsters from deck again and again, he did nothing all the way until around 40 turn, and then you deck out. Give a rule about if opponent didn't put monster(s) for 3 turns, then he'll automatically lose.

Yeah, it's just my opinion for what I haven't think deeply about. For anyone, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Ahh good point; I didn't think about the idea of not summoning anything. Although it would force players to tech in burn cards against these kinds of players, or maybe even deck destruction effects like Needle Worm, to keep pressure on the opponent. Or maybe it would mean run Jar of Avarice at 3 and Transmigration at 3 to prevent deckouts Razz

But yeah, now that I think about it, there was a rule like that in Duelist Kingdom as well. Remember the game with Kaiba against Pegasus? Pegasus used Kaiba's CCV against him, and once Kaiba ran out of monsters to summon, he automatically lost. I suppose a rule like that would have to be imperative to prevent stall games. Thanks for the opinion.

Quote :

Suspicious Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
ally of justice catastor
Junior Charmer
Junior Charmer

Charmer Power : 1484
Favorite Charmer : Hiita
Badges :

Character sheet
Name: ally of justice decisive armor
HP:
300/300  (300/300)
MP:
150/150  (150/150)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:13 am

Went to buy Super Robot Taisen V since it got translated, got hope crushed when I found out they run out of it, ended up buying Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold, which is really good, aside from soul-crushing difficulty Etrian games and just usual Atlus game is, but in hype for Super Robot Taisen, so I just pour my hype on other things

AKA Super Robot's AMV:

Quote :
[13:19:57] ally of justice catastor : and that day, Catastor have made his own religious
[13:20:29] Hippocampus : and we all followed him as our disciple and messiah

Seitokai no Ichizon wrote:
“A power level of nine trillion eighty thousand isn’t just for show…… Mafuyu…… Mafuyu’s power level would probably be about negative thirty seven……”
“What do you mean it’s negative?!”
“Mafuyu is defeated by Mafuyu’s opponent easily without them having to do anything. And then Mafuyu is nursed back to health by them.”
“That definitely makes it negative!”
Back to top Go down
Hippocampus

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
500/500  (500/500)
MP:
200/200  (200/200)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:44 pm

My friend made a game, and it won an award in an indie games competition!

She wants to get more people to play it, so I'll post a link to the download here. It's quite trippy but easy to get hooked on. Try it out and see what you think!

Link to download

Quote :

Suspicious Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Kirikaze Fuuma
Mod - Kaze no Soldier

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
280/280  (280/280)
MP:
170/170  (170/170)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:57 am

@Catastor : I see you're excited with super robots lately. That The guardian (Sugoshin) song is one of my favorite song from super robot series. And since you bought some Super Robot Taisen, have you heard about Frame Arms? Yeah, not to be confused with Frame Arms Girl. These are the original version of the latter. I heard they appeared in one of Super Robot Taisen game.

@Hippo : I haven't watched the video in that website yet, but from what I heard, it's about a girl fell into hell and fighting the old gods. But from the screenshot, I don't really quite understand about those eyeballs and beartraps. What are those?

Back to top Go down
Hippocampus

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
500/500  (500/500)
MP:
200/200  (200/200)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:14 pm

Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
@Catastor : I see you're excited with super robots lately.
Lately? When has he NOT been excited about super robots?

Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
@Hippo : I haven't watched the video in that website yet, but from what I heard, it's about a girl fell into hell and fighting the old gods. But from the screenshot, I don't really quite understand about those eyeballs and beartraps. What are those?
I believe those would be the "old gods" you described, or at least their remnants. The game doesn't offer much in terms of storyline; it's like one of those old 8-bit games which thrusts you into the world as soon as you start the game.

Quote :

Suspicious Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
ally of justice catastor
Junior Charmer
Junior Charmer

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
300/300  (300/300)
MP:
150/150  (150/150)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:22 am

Hippo wrote:
When Tsukihime Remake happen :v
Kiri wrote:
And since you PLAY some Super Robot Taisen
corrected it for ya ;3
SRT V sold out in my area, so I need to wait for the next batch to come T.T
Kiri wrote:
Frame Arms
Never heard of it

Quote :
[13:19:57] ally of justice catastor : and that day, Catastor have made his own religious

“A power level of nine trillion eighty thousand isn’t just for show…… Mafuyu…… Mafuyu’s power level would probably be about negative thirty seven……”
“Mafuyu is defeated by Mafuyu’s opponent easily without them having to do anything. And then Mafuyu is nursed back to health by them.”
Back to top Go down
Kirikaze Fuuma
Mod - Kaze no Soldier

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
280/280  (280/280)
MP:
170/170  (170/170)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:53 pm

Hippocampus wrote:

I know he like a lot of things. But IIRC I never had a conversation with him about super robots. (@Catty : If there is, sorry if I can't remember any).

Hippocampus wrote:
I believe those would be the "old gods" you described, or at least their remnants. The game doesn't offer much in terms of storyline; it's like one of those old 8-bit games which thrusts you into the world as soon as you start the game.

I finally watched the video and... indeed there's some very dark atmosphere from the music alone. Add that with the graphic (while simple) and how the "gods" are presented really complete the dark atmosphere.

ally of justice catastor wrote:
Kiri wrote:
And since you PLAY some Super Robot Taisen
corrected it for ya ;3
SRT V sold out in my area, so I need to wait for the next batch to come T.T

Then, hope you get the next one.

ally of justice catastor wrote:
Never heard of it

The origin is plastic model and never become an anime before. Instead the rule 63 version got the anime first this April (and they become plastic model size instead. Let's just say it's some kind of Busou Shinki), which is kinda odd but understandable since they are quite popular. I saw two of these Frame Arms in this short video about Super Robot Taisen before, so perhaps you probably know something about them.

Back to top Go down
Hippocampus

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
500/500  (500/500)
MP:
200/200  (200/200)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:49 am

Shhh! We don't speak of rule 63 on here, Fuuma >.>

Quote :

Suspicious Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
ally of justice catastor
Junior Charmer
Junior Charmer

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
300/300  (300/300)
MP:
150/150  (150/150)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:10 pm

I heard a bit about them, but never check on them, so sorry if you think I know

Also, have some footage of Mazinger series that appear in SRT V

Btw, Mazinemperor G's Great Mazinger that got radiated by Getter Rays, which is why it got Shin Getter Robo's classic eyeball and some frantic flight movement

Quote :

Back to top Go down
Kirikaze Fuuma
Mod - Kaze no Soldier

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
280/280  (280/280)
MP:
170/170  (170/170)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:56 pm

Hippocampus wrote:
Shhh! We don't speak of rule 63 on here, Fuuma >.>

Why not? Since when opposite gender counterpart become that dangerous?

Back to top Go down
Hippocampus

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
500/500  (500/500)
MP:
200/200  (200/200)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:34 am

Here we go with the Youtube spamming again Rolling Eyes
I should really update my flash player. Having to wait 2 whole minutes just for this page to load is ridiculous.

Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
I mean it's not dangerous, but neither is homosexuality and apparently we can't talk about that on here either.

Actually we don't talk about any rules of the internet, period. I thought you knew that lol

Quote :

Suspicious Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Hippocampus

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
500/500  (500/500)
MP:
200/200  (200/200)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:00 pm

Been listening to Surfer Blood's debut album for the first time in 6 years, and I forgot how good it is. Some tracks:
-Harmonix-
-Twin Peaks-

Quote :

Suspicious Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Kirikaze Fuuma
Mod - Kaze no Soldier

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
280/280  (280/280)
MP:
170/170  (170/170)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:31 pm

Hippocampus wrote:
Here we go with the Youtube spamming again Rolling Eyes
I should really update my flash player. Having to wait 2 whole minutes just for this page to load is ridiculous.

Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
I mean it's not dangerous, but neither is homosexuality and apparently we can't talk about that on here either.

Actually we don't talk about any rules of the internet, period. I thought you knew that lol

If you say so, then okay. But I still feel it's weird that a mere opposite gender counterpart can be as sensitive as 'that'. At least I won't mention 'rule xx' here just because.

Anyway, I don't know if this one has been shared recently but, has anyone here played Super Mario Crossover before? Yeah, I remember back then this was shared in forum, long time ago. But this one is kinda different than the previous one. This time the characters are more varied (even though some sub-characters like Megaman and Roll are basically same. You'll know what I mean. But there are still sub-character with varied movements like Rokko-chan where she can dash but can't charge shot unlike Megaman) and you can pick either Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Special, or Lost Level stages. Not to mention picking stage's skin (can be from Mario, Zelda, Castlevania, etc). Lost Level is probably the most difficult map among the three and it's starting to become harder in level 7 or 8 (And there's extra level from A to D? Yeah, I was surprised back then since I never played Mario Lost Levels before. I thought it could be A to Z). Not to mention enemies can be too durable to destroy (Goomba took more than 2 shots to kill from either Megaman, Samus or Bill?), not to mention Koopa need 4 shots to make it hide in its shell. Overall, it's one good game. I played with lots of characters there with different type of map skin. Gotta say, using Megaman to went through Mario platforming is pretty fun.

Back to top Go down
Hippocampus

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
500/500  (500/500)
MP:
200/200  (200/200)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:51 pm

Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
If you say so, then okay. But I still feel it's weird that a mere opposite gender counterpart can be as sensitive as 'that'. At least I won't mention 'rule xx' here just because.
Technically, you just did Razz

And they are equally "sensitive" in the fact that neither of them are "sensitive" in the first place. Saying "I like someone the same gender as me" is no worse than saying "I like someone the opposite gender as me"; both statements are just describing what kind of person you like. So if someone says "I like this anime character, but she's a girl," and Rule 63 comes along and changes her to a boy, why should that mean you like him any less?

...Unless your definition of "sensitive" is different from mine?

Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
Anyway, I don't know if this one has been shared recently but, has anyone here played Super Mario Crossover before? Yeah, I remember back then this was shared in forum, long time ago. But this one is kinda different than the previous one. This time the characters are more varied (even though some sub-characters like Megaman and Roll are basically same. You'll know what I mean. But there are still sub-character with varied movements like Rokko-chan where she can dash but can't charge shot unlike Megaman) and you can pick either Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Special, or Lost Level stages. Not to mention picking stage's skin (can be from Mario, Zelda, Castlevania, etc). Lost Level is probably the most difficult map among the three and it's starting to become harder in level 7 or 8 (And there's extra level from A to D? Yeah, I was surprised back then since I never played Mario Lost Levels before. I thought it could be A to Z). Not to mention enemies can be too durable to destroy (Goomba took more than 2 shots to kill from either Megaman, Samus or Bill?), not to mention Koopa need 4 shots to make it hide in its shell. Overall, it's one good game. I played with lots of characters there with different type of map skin. Gotta say, using Megaman to went through Mario platforming is pretty fun.
This looks like a nostalgic gamer's dream game. It's pretty well-made, too, since in addition to staying true to the original levels and characters there's also a ton of customizable content. Now we just need a game where Mario plays in levels of Link, Samus, Megaman, etc..

I still have yet to beat Lost Levels myself, although I've beaten the original game multiple times. Last time I remember I was stuck on the World 7 castle (it loops iirc). Maybe I should bust out my SNES and try it again soon.

Quote :

Suspicious Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Kirikaze Fuuma
Mod - Kaze no Soldier

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
280/280  (280/280)
MP:
170/170  (170/170)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:37 am

Hippocampus wrote:
This looks like a nostalgic gamer's dream game. It's pretty well-made, too, since in addition to staying true to the original levels and characters there's also a ton of customizable content. Now we just need a game where Mario plays in levels of Link, Samus, Megaman, etc..

I still have yet to beat Lost Levels myself, although I've beaten the original game multiple times. Last time I remember I was stuck on the World 7 castle (it loops iirc). Maybe I should bust out my SNES and try it again soon.

That would be fun to see Mario in those levels. I personally lack of knowledge about Metroid and Zelda. But in my opinion, Mario better has some health bar if he's in Megaman stages. You have to be a hardcore Megaman player in order to finish the game without touching any enemy, especially when you have limited amount of extra life. Try to play Rokko-chan (which is literally Megaman's female counterpart. Not official Capcom character, btw) in owata mode, where you will die whenever you got hit. That game is merciful enough to give you infinite extra lives in owata mode, but you'll understand how hard it is to finish it even with that. Or you can try to play Megaman 10 and try to get title Mr. Perfect where in order to achieve it, you must not take any damage at any point until the end of game (If it's too easy, try in hard mode. Still too easy? Well... play it with joystick in your mouth ;'_')

Well, some people actually made some Megaman levels with Mario Maker, though. That's the closest thing of how to play Mario in Megaman stages.

Back to top Go down
Hippocampus

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
500/500  (500/500)
MP:
200/200  (200/200)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:40 pm

Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
That would be fun to see Mario in those levels. I personally lack of knowledge about Metroid and Zelda.
Now that I think about it, Mario in Legend of Zelda probably wouldn't work. But in Metroid it could, and in Sonic the Hedgehog it could work too. Surprised that Sonic wasn't in Super Mario Crossover, now that I think about it.
Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
But in my opinion, Mario better has some health bar if he's in Megaman stages. You have to be a hardcore Megaman player in order to finish the game without touching any enemy, especially when you have limited amount of extra life.
The way to get around that would probably be to implement the power-up system from Mario games, like using mushrooms or fire flowers to get an extra hit. But yeah even with that it does sound hard to play. Or imagine Mario in the Megaman world with a starman, invincible to everything XD

Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
Well, some people actually made some Megaman levels with Mario Maker, though. That's the closest thing of how to play Mario in Megaman stages.
Ah, true, I forgot about Mario Maker. And even before that, you had people who could hack Super Mario World ROMs to make custom worlds and levels. Although, in either case, I'm not sure you could maintain the graphics of Megaman games, since I haven't seen people import custom tile sets into Mario Maker or anything like that.

Story time! I remember when I was younger, I always wanted to make my own Mario platformer. I have literally hundreds of drawings of my own Mario levels in notebooks or pieces of paper throughout my house that I drew from back then. Then in secondary school a friend introduced me to Game Maker, and I went to town on that thing. I almost completed my own game. Aaaaaaaand then I got into RPG Maker instead. So I haven't done any platformers since then lol

Quote :

Suspicious Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Kirikaze Fuuma
Mod - Kaze no Soldier

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
280/280  (280/280)
MP:
170/170  (170/170)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Hippocampus wrote:
Now that I think about it, Mario in Legend of Zelda probably wouldn't work. But in Metroid it could, and in Sonic the Hedgehog it could work too. Surprised that Sonic wasn't in Super Mario Crossover, now that I think about it.

About that...

Spoiler:

On serious note, Sonic levels aren't really suitable for Mario, Megaman or Samus unless there's a radical change for the stage design, in my opinion. You have to be Sonic (or at least Sash Lilac) in order to clear those stages because some areas might need some speed acceleration in order to get pass through, like that wheel area.

Hippocampus wrote:
The way to get around that would probably be to implement the power-up system from Mario games, like using mushrooms or fire flowers to get an extra hit. But yeah even with that it does sound hard to play. Or imagine Mario in the Megaman world with a starman, invincible to everything XD

Having the star would completely butcher the game. At least, Mario could have two power ups at his disposal like in Super Mario World. Even then, I still imagine it would be hard not to get hit at all in Megaman stages, which in Mario's case, losing power up.

Hippocampus wrote:
Ah, true, I forgot about Mario Maker. And even before that, you had people who could hack Super Mario World ROMs to make custom worlds and levels. Although, in either case, I'm not sure you could maintain the graphics of Megaman games, since I haven't seen people import custom tile sets into Mario Maker or anything like that.

Nah, Megaman games are mostly 8-bit. The only custom tileset from Megaman games I can think of for Mario are from Megaman 7 or Rockman & Forte. The only SNES Megaman games. But even then, I personally don't like ROM hack at all, after I saw some examples, mainly in Megaman games.

Hippocampus wrote:
Story time! I remember when I was younger, I always wanted to make my own Mario platformer. I have literally hundreds of drawings of my own Mario levels in notebooks or pieces of paper throughout my house that I drew from back then. Then in secondary school a friend introduced me to Game Maker, and I went to town on that thing. I almost completed my own game. Aaaaaaaand then I got into RPG Maker instead. So I haven't done any platformers since then lol

Then, want to make another Mario stages again and this time, complete the game? Or you have another plan in mind?

Back to top Go down
Hippocampus

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
500/500  (500/500)
MP:
200/200  (200/200)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:55 pm

Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
On serious note, Sonic levels aren't really suitable for Mario, Megaman or Samus unless there's a radical change for the stage design, in my opinion. You have to be Sonic (or at least Sash Lilac) in order to clear those stages because some areas might need some speed acceleration in order to get pass through, like that wheel area.
To each their own games, of course. All I'm saying is that it could technically be possible for Megaman, Metroid, and Sonic levels to be adapted to a Mario game, as since they are all platformers at their core most of the physics are similar, and thus could be tweaked to become Mario versions. Legend of Zelda is a different style of gameplay altogether, and so that wouldn't work (although, SM64 Mario in Ocarina of Time would be equally awesome to crossover, and likewise with OoT Link in SM64). The wheel area is a Sonic-only gimmick but that doesn't mean it can't be left out of the Mario version of the level, and it also doesn't mean it can't be traversed by other characters as is, like say Samus.

Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
Having the star would completely butcher the game.
You are really great at identifying sarcasm, huh
Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
At least, Mario could have two power ups at his disposal like in Super Mario World. Even then, I still imagine it would be hard not to get hit at all in Megaman stages, which in Mario's case, losing power up.
Of course it would be hard. But that doesn't make it impossible. Have you seen some gamers out there? Rolling Eyes

Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
Nah, Megaman games are mostly 8-bit. The only custom tileset from Megaman games I can think of for Mario are from Megaman 7 or Rockman & Forte. The only SNES Megaman games.
The original Super Mario Bros. was for an 8-bit system too though.
Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
But even then, I personally don't like ROM hack at all, after I saw some examples, mainly in Megaman games.
Go play Pokemon Prism and see if that changes your mind. Wink

Hippocampus wrote:
Then, want to make another Mario stages again and this time, complete the game? Or you have another plan in mind?
It's something I've thought about. I will always have a soft spot for Mario-esque platformers. But right now, I'm much more content with working on RPGs, like the ones I mentioned in the first couple pages of this thread. I have some ideas that I would one day really like to produce as games, and those take precedence over any passing reminiscings I may get back into. I mean in order for me to ever actually finish every single thing I've thought about making in my lifetime, I would need to live to 150 XD

Quote :

Suspicious Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Kirikaze Fuuma
Mod - Kaze no Soldier

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
280/280  (280/280)
MP:
170/170  (170/170)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:01 am

Hippocampus wrote:
To each their own games, of course. All I'm saying is that it could technically be possible for Megaman, Metroid, and Sonic levels to be adapted to a Mario game, as since they are all platformers at their core most of the physics are similar, and thus could be tweaked to become Mario versions. Legend of Zelda is a different style of gameplay altogether, and so that wouldn't work (although, SM64 Mario in Ocarina of Time would be equally awesome to crossover, and likewise with OoT Link in SM64). The wheel area is a Sonic-only gimmick but that doesn't mean it can't be left out of the Mario version of the level, and it also doesn't mean it can't be traversed by other characters as is, like say Samus.

Oh, if they are tweaked to become Mario version, then absolutely. I was thinking with how Mario would do if the level is faithful to its Sonic counterpart. Yeah, I'm still imagining about faithful level design after that Super Mario Crossover which is pretty much faithful (with only minor adjustment so certain character could pass). I still can't imagine how characters without speed acceleration could pass it (Megaman, Bill, etc) since if Sonic tried to run on that wheel normally, he'll fall. Even though there could be other way to pass through that wheel level without having to circling the route. Samus perhaps, just perhaps, could do that /shrug. IIRC she has a speed booster.

Hippocampus wrote:
You are really great at identifying sarcasm, huh

Hippocampus wrote:
Of course it would be hard. But that doesn't make it impossible. Have you seen some gamers out there? Rolling Eyes

Well... that was my opinion since I played Megaman much more than Mario. But perhaps Mario players have different type of skill that could allow them to pass through the stages without getting hit too much.

Hippocampus wrote:
The original Super Mario Bros. was for an 8-bit system too though.

Oh... right. to think I actually forgot about NES Mario games...

Hippocampus wrote:
Go play Pokemon Prism and see if that changes your mind. Wink

I tried to check the video on youtube since I don't play pokemon and... some people think it's the best ROM hack. I've tried to see some footage of gameplay, and I don't see problem.Though, one thing that concerned me. It seems Nintendo personally stepped in and tried to take down the game?

Hippocampus wrote:
It's something I've thought about. I will always have a soft spot for Mario-esque platformers. But right now, I'm much more content with working on RPGs, like the ones I mentioned in the first couple pages of this thread. I have some ideas that I would one day really like to produce as games, and those take precedence over any passing reminiscings I may get back into. I mean in order for me to ever actually finish every single thing I've thought about making in my lifetime, I would need to live to 150 XD

Back to top Go down
Hippocampus

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
500/500  (500/500)
MP:
200/200  (200/200)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:35 am

Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
Well... that was my opinion since I played Megaman much more than Mario. But perhaps Mario players have different type of skill that could allow them to pass through the stages without getting hit too much.
I don't think it's limited to "Mario players", specifically. There are just some people who are generally much more skillful at platformers, namely the people who grew up as kids in the late 80s and early 90s and who got to play these games very religiously, in a loose sense of the word. But you are right in that Mario players would fare much better than others since they're more familiar with Mario's control limitations.

Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
Oh... right. to think I actually forgot about NES Mario games...
LOL!

Technically Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, and 3 were all released for the NES, but they received major graphical enhancements when re-released for the SNES on Super Mario All-Stars, and a lot of SMB references on the internet use the art from All-Stars, so I can see why you'd be confused about that. It doesn't help that Lost Levels was released on NES only in Japan, and as a part of All-Stars everywhere else. Super Mario World was the first Mario game truly made for SNES (and was also the debut of Yoshi!).

Kirikaze Fuuma wrote:
I tried to check the video on youtube since I don't play pokemon and... some people think it's the best ROM hack. I've tried to see some footage of gameplay, and I don't see problem.Though, one thing that concerned me. It seems Nintendo personally stepped in and tried to take down the game?
It is a very good ROM hack, hence why I recommended it to you (of course, that's if you've played Pokemon G/S/C). The version I played was only a demo, though, and it was a few years ago... I don't recall if they ever finished it or not.

Nintendo is EXTREMELY against custom modifications of any kind of their games because they want to have full control over ALL aspects of their products, like a true business should lol. Owning a ROM of a game you don't already own a hard copy of for more than 24 hours is illegal in their eyes because you never bought the product from its original developer and are just playing it for free. Think about how Konami shut down places like Dueling Network (better yet, think about how Youtube takes down channels that upload popular music every so often); it's the same consumerist mentality.
The difference is that ROM hackers aren't modding games for profit. They do it because they have original, creative ideas they want to implement in a game that they really enjoy, and want to share them with others. Sure, some are kinda juvenile, but many good hackers want to give the feel of a completely different kind of game than the original it's based on. There are some really great modding communities out there, and some modders I really respect. But Nintendo doesn't see it like that. If it's not their original game, it's pirated and it shouldn't exist. And they've brainwashed the average person to believe this too. So far, Project M is the only mod that Nintendo actually acknowledged, and that's only because the competitive Smash community hated vanilla Brawl so much to the point where they refused to use it in official tourneys (and then they ended up going back to Melee anyway once Smash 4 came out lol).

Quote :

Suspicious Spoiler:

Back to top Go down
Kirikaze Fuuma
Mod - Kaze no Soldier

Badges :

Character sheet
HP:
280/280  (280/280)
MP:
170/170  (170/170)

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:46 pm

Hippocampus wrote:
I don't think it's limited to "Mario players", specifically. There are just some people who are generally much more skillful at platformers, namely the people who grew up as kids in the late 80s and early 90s and who got to play these games very religiously, in a loose sense of the word. But you are right in that Mario players would fare much better than others since they're more familiar with Mario's control limitations.

It seems Mario players are used to running through obstacles without getting hit too much, I don't know. I don't really follow Mario series and how usually people play Mario. But that's what I could possibly imagine. Also, yes. those gamers from late 80s and early 90s who dedicate his life enough for platforming, I believe shouldn't have much problem. There are definitely some hardcore gamer that could go through some classic platforming stages even unharmed.

Hippocampus wrote:
It is a very good ROM hack, hence why I recommended it to you (of course, that's if you've played Pokemon G/S/C). The version I played was only a demo, though, and it was a few years ago... I don't recall if they ever finished it or not.

Nintendo is EXTREMELY against custom modifications of any kind of their games because they want to have full control over ALL aspects of their products, like a true business should lol. Owning a ROM of a game you don't already own a hard copy of for more than 24 hours is illegal in their eyes because you never bought the product from its original developer and are just playing it for free. Think about how Konami shut down places like Dueling Network (better yet, think about how Youtube takes down channels that upload popular music every so often); it's the same consumerist mentality.
The difference is that ROM hackers aren't modding games for profit. They do it because they have original, creative ideas they want to implement in a game that they really enjoy, and want to share them with others. Sure, some are kinda juvenile, but many good hackers want to give the feel of a completely different kind of game than the original it's based on. There are some really great modding communities out there, and some modders I really respect. But Nintendo doesn't see it like that. If it's not their original game, it's pirated and it shouldn't exist. And they've brainwashed the average person to believe this too. So far, Project M is the only mod that Nintendo actually acknowledged, and that's only because the competitive Smash community hated vanilla Brawl so much to the point where they refused to use it in official tourneys (and then they ended up going back to Melee anyway once Smash 4 came out lol).

I haven't explored this subject too much, so pardon me if I'm quite shallow about this. Well, even with all those things, Nintendo still have some justified reason to do this. Even though I personally feel something feels off about what they did (such as disrespecting Fair Use Law). Not even Capcom or Sega ever did anything to ROM hacks or fan games, as far as I'm concerned (or maybe I just missed some news /shrug).

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread   

Back to top Go down

Meda Bat's Eye - Charmer Forum Official OOT thread
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 12 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next